Sunday 4 September 2011

How do I include ICT in secondary Drama?

OK, I'll admit it, I was shocked when I took a year 11 drama class to the library (in order for the students to do some research for an upcoming assessment) and half of them (6 out of 12 students) needed help on how to use Google search!  As a 'mature aged student' (I hate that term, there really does have to be a better phrase) I was arrogantly assuming that most kids of this generation were more savvy on computer skills than me.  I mean these students come from a generation where the terms "VCR" or a "Comador 64" are completely foreign to their vernacular - how could they not know how to search for information on the internet???  Well, now I know.  Not all students have access to a computer at home.  I really think it comes down to something that simple.
The school that I am currently working at is a lower socio-economic school in the Western suburbs of Melbourne.  3/4 of the students have ESL issues and most of their families are 'new Australians'.  Having a computer at home is not a priority for most of these families.

Lesson one when it comes to ICT in education - schools need to provide access to computers for students OUTSIDE of class time to allow and hopefully encourage students to explore the WWW without an agenda.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Meg. Interesting questions. Perhaps you, Emma and I could work together for the assignment and do something also connected to drama?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin, that sounds excellent. Count me in.
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Look forward to working together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meg,
    Fair point on your post. I think we all assume that students are perhaps more savvy than they may actually be.
    Would love to work with you guys for a subject specific assignment.
    See you soon!
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete